The message below was sent this morning, July 27, 2007 to Adam Rosenfield reporter with The Plano Star Courier. He is covering the council agreement to accept the dollar figure proposed by the library. The figure asked for the construction of the genealogy department is $461,200. It is a shame they don't have enough staff to support the new genealogy area when the new section is completed!
The purpose of this note is to advise of significant changes taking place within the Plano Public Library System and specifically the Genealogy Section.
As most of you know the Genealogy collection will be moving to a dedicated facility at Haggard Library from its current location at Harrington; the current target for the move is October. Many of you also know that a Supervisor for the Genealogy Section has been hired (David Hardin) and he has been hard at work for some time expanding the Collection as well as preparing for this move. The Genealogy facility will have its own dedicated staff, which was announced this week: David, and long time Genealogy Friends supporters Cheryl Smith and Tom Turner. They will report to Karen Risser, Asst Library Director.
The move and it's impact on Genealogy Friends' operations has been an ongoing item of discussion for some time. Certain decisions were made recently by Library management, and were revealed at a meeting on June 14 with some members of the GF Board.
A summary of the meeting may be found on the Genfriends Blog at:
http://genfriends.blogspot.com/ under the title "Changes are Afoot".
You will find links to other City of Plano governing bodies activities and minutes of meetings (Library Advisory Board, City Council) on the page as well. You may sign up to post comments on the Blog if you wish, just follow the instructions under "Getting Started".
The principal changes are:
- No events at Haggard can extend beyond the normal Library operating hours. This translates into no more Lock-ins in their current form after the one currrently scheduled on July 13. Saturday Seminars, if held at Haggard, cannot start until after 10:00AM. We have been advised that they may continue as in the past if held at Harrington; however, a long term reservation at that location cannot be guaranteed.
- Due to the limited Staff, the operating hours of the Genealogy facility will be limited to 40 hours per week, as follows: Normal Library System Hours are in ():
- These hours may be revised if the Genealogy traffic volume warrants. You will note the dramatic reduction in available Genealogy Research time (from 64 to 40 hours). The major issue here is that genealogists who work will have only the 7 hours on Saturday to research.
- Note: Traffic activity is being measured by 'book pulls': If you remove a book or film from the shelf for research, you DO NOT reshelve it yourself, the librarians will count it and reshelve it.
- Our practice of requesting donations for paid speakers and other fund raisers for the ultimate benefit of the library is no longer allowed, at least until further notice. This subject is being reviewed with neighboring library systems that do allow paid events.
- These and related subjects will be discussed at the next GF Board meeting on July 17, 7-9 pm at Haggard Library. Members are welcome.
Monday: 1:00- 5:00 (10:00 - 9:00)
Tuesday: 10:00 - 5:00 (10:00 - 9:00)
Wednesday: 10:00 - 7:00 (10:00 - 9:00)
Thursday: 10:00 - 7:00 (10:00 - 9:00)
Friday: 1:00 - 5:00 (10:00 - 6:00)
Saturday: 10:00 - 5:00 (10:00 - 6:00)
Sunday: Closed (1:00 - 5:00)